Well,whatever may be , I am going to introduce a special dosa called ' Pesarattu' or Green gram (cherupayar/moong dal) dosa. Its a typical Andhra cuisine.Green Gram is the main highlight of this dosa, hence its green in colour. Unlike other dosa, it doesn't use urad dal ( uzhunnu paripp),so no fermentation is required. .You can prepare dosas immediately after grinding the batter. Its a healthy dosa.It can be served either as a breakfast or dinner . Green gram contains protein. Its good for diabetic patient and kids too.Do try it and impress your household:) :)
Making of pesarattu
- Moong dal/ cherupayar / Green Gram - 1 cup
- Raw rice - 1/2 cup
- Shallots( cheriya ulli) - 5 to 6 no.s OR Onion - 1/2 slice
- Sliced Ginger - 1 tsp
- Green Chillies - 2 no.s
- Coriander leaves,chopped - 1 tbsp
- Asafoeda/hing/ kayam podi - a pinch
- Cumin seed - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1 or 1 1/2 cup for grinding ( adjust accordingly)
- Salt - to taste
- Soak Green Gram and rice together in a water for 5 to 6 hrs. OR For faster softening, soak both in boiling hot water in a hot casserole or flask and close the lid .Soak for 1 hr.Wash these in a few couplets of water.
- Blend all the ingredients thoroughly and make the batter into semi-thick consistency, just like normal dosa batter .
- Pour this batter in a large bowl. Can add salt if required. Dilute it by adding little water,depending how thick or thin batter you prefer.( I prefer thin and crispy dosa)
- Heat a non-stick fry pan or tawa. Make sure your pan must be hot. Add one laddleful of batter on the pan,smoothen and make it into concentric circle by back side of laddle.Just like how you prepare a normal dosa. ( See the pic above)
- Drizzle few drops of oil here and there. When turn brown on sides, flip the dosa and cook on other side.Fold and serve on a plate or casserole. Repeat the process till batter is used up.
- Serve it with chutney or your favourite curry of your choice. Serve warm.
- Left over batter can be refrigerated for later use.
- If you don't have time to grind the batter in morning, you can grind it on previous day and refrigerate, prepare dosas on next day.