Gooseberry is called as 'wonder fruit'..There are many benefits of this fruit..Gooseberry is rich in Vitamin C..It is said that one gooseberry contains highest level of vitamin C than 20 oranges.. If taking daily,it is the best medicine for cold and cough..It is also a cure for constipation, reducing cholesterol, diabetes etc..It provides good hair growth..It is used in ayurveda ( natural treatment) medicines too..You can read more here.. In Kerala,most of the them use gooseberry in pickle form: Nelllika Achar ( Spicy Gooseberry pickle), uppilitta nellika ( Gooseberry in salt and vinegar solution)...But now, I am sharing a recipe of gooseberry chutney i.e dry gooseberry coconut chutney..Its my mom's recipe..I love her chutney..Its a great combination for plain rice,biryani etc..Lets go to the recipe..
Recipe Source : Umma
- Gooseberry / Nellika / Amla - 2 medium or 1 large
- Chopped ginger - 1/2 tsp
- Chopped garlic - 2 pods
- Chopped curry leaves - 1 sprig ( if having)
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1/2 sprig
- Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
- Chopped green chillies - 2 no.s
- Lemon juice / Vinegar - 1/2 tsp ( optional )
- Salt - to taste
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned in a grinder in one to two stoke..Grind coarsely..
- Adjust salt accordingly..
- Transfer it into small bowl..
- Serve it with the side dish of plain rice, biryani etc..