Today, I am sharing a recipe of Nulliyitat..'Nulliyitat' in Malayalam, means a few thick batter which is taken by hand and poured in oil to deep fry..Its a Malabar ( Northern Kerala - a district from 'Kasarkode' till 'Kannur',majority of them were Muslims) speciality sweet snack..I am making it with the combination of mashed banana and coconut which is mixed with flour and made into thick batter..Small quantity of batter is taken by hand and then deep fried in oil..Its a very yummy snack,when served warm..We used to make sliced plantain ( nentrapazham) fritters..I didn't know that the fritters can be made with mashed banana until I saw a recipe in my cook book , 'Ramadan Recipes' by Rasiya Latheef,which I bought from Kerala..I have left over bananas in my pantry,I have to finish it off before it over ripes..I am not so fond of bananas..But I love when it is combined with desserts or any sweet dishes..If you are banana lover or not, when you make this snack, you'll definitely love it..Its a simple recipe to make...Do make this snack and impress your kids and family.They will definitely love it..Lets move to the recipe...
Recipe Source: 'Ramadan recipes' by Rasiya Latheef ( Slightly modified)
- Chiquita banana or any banana of your choice - 1/2 kg
- Coconut shredded - 2 tbsp
- Cardamon powder - a pinch
- Sugar - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- All purpose flour ( maida) - 3/4 cup
- Rice Flour - 2 tbsp
- Baking soda - a pinch ( optional)
- Oil - to deep fry
- Mash the bananas slightly by hand or with spoon and combine it with shredded coconut and cardamon powder and mix well.
- Add rest of the ingredients from 'sugar' till 'baking soda ( if using)' and mix well..
- Add little water and make into thick batter ( that's very important)
- Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai.
- Take small quantity of batter by hand and deep fry in oil till both sides are golden brown.
- Drain and place these on kitchen paper towel..
- Serve warm with cup of tea or coffee..