Today, I am posting a Naadan ( Kerala style) chicken liver dry fry..Liver contains Iron which is necessary for healthy functioning of blood.. It is good for anaemia patient and pregnant ladies too..Main ingredient of this dish is black pepper powder and its mild spicy dish...I am making it in dry version, as its my favourite way of eating chicken liver..Its a great side dish for chappati, kubboos, rice etc..Let go to the recipe:
- Chicken liver - 500 gm
- Shallots ( Cheriya ullli), sliced - 10 to 15 no.s
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chillies,slit halves - 2 no.s
- Vinegar - 2 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp + a pinch
- Black pepper - 3 to 4 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig to garnish
- Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste.
- Cut the chicken liver into medium pieces, clean and wash the liver properly and drain it.
- Marinate the liver in vinegar and a pinch of turmeric pdr to get rid of pungent taste and the toxin present in the liver will goes out..
- Heat coconut oil in a fry pan, add sliced shallots and saute till light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few secs.
- Add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell goes away.
- Add the marinated liver and saute well.( Don't add salt in between otherwise liver will become rubbery).
- Close the lid and cook for 5 mins at medium flame.
- When one side is cooked, carefully turn other side carefully without breaking.
- Close the lid again and let it cook for another 3 minute at medium flame..
- Add salt at this stage and mix well carefully .Can add little pepper pdr too,if you prefer more spicy..
- Close the lid and turn the heat high and let the water evaporate completely and cook for l min till liver is slightly browned..Be careful not to get burnt..
- Off the flame. Garnish it with curry leaves and slit green chillies. Drizzle few drops of coconut oil and close the lid for few mins. Let it infuse flavour.
- Serve hot with chappati, kubboos, poori, rice etc.
- Liver cooks very fast. Don't overcook the liver else it will turn rubbery.
- It is better to add salt last after making liver curry or fry. It will prevent liver from getting hard.
- It is better to soak liver in milk/vinegar /turmeric pdr to get rid of toxin present in the liver.