Today, I am posting a recipe of healthy breakfast menu, Paneer-Vegetable Uttappam..Uttappam is made with rice and urad dal which is grinded into thick batter like Idli (fermented rice cakes)...This batter is same for dosa ( fermented rice crepes) which is diluted with water...Uttappam is made with pouring batter in a pan like pancakes and topped with chopped onions...Additional to chopped onion, chopped tomato and vegetables toppings are also added..I did the topping of crumbled paneer ( cottage cheese)and some vegetables...It tastes too delicious with the combination of any chutnies of your choice..I had the combination with coconut garlic chutney..Those who don't like paneer, do crumble it and combine it with vegetable masala..It tastes delicious, no one will know main ingredient is paneer :)..My hubby, who is a paneer hater,didn't believe it..He thought it is an egg :)..He gives thumps up to this :)..Do try this uttappam and impress your family:)
- Raw rice - 1 cup ( I used dosa rice)
- Urad dal - 3/4 cup
- Cooked rice - 3 heaped tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds ( uluva) - 1 tsp
- Frozen Paneer - 1/2 cup
- Chopped Onion - 1 large
- Shredded Carrot - 1 no.
- Chopped capsicum - 2 tbsp
- Finely chopped beans - 2 tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 tbsp
- Chopped garlic - 1 tsp
- Chopped chillies - 1 to 2 no.s
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Chilli pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Soak raw rice and urad dal together in a water for 4 hrs..Grind it along with fenugreek seeds in a blender as a thick batter like idli..
- Pour this batter in a large bowl and close it with large lid or plate..Keep it aside and allow to ferment overnight...
- Meanwhile, make vegetable topping as mentioned below..
- Batter will rise next day..It depends upon climate..If it is hot season, batter will rise next day..If it is cold season, its difficult to get rise..Keep the batter somewhere in a hot place especially cupboard or shelf..It might help.
- Add salt into the batter and mix well..Add 2 tbsp of water and mix well..Don't add too much water, as we don't want the batter to be of dosa consistency..
- Heat non-stick tawa or frypan..To check the heatness of pan, sprinkle little water on it..If you hear hissing sound, it indicates tawa is heated..
- Add one ladleful of batter and lightly smooth the batter..Don't smooth too much,otherwise it will become dosa...
- Immediately, sprinkle vegetable masala sparingly and sprinkle little olive/sunflower oil on top and close the lid..
- When one side becomes brown, turn other side and cook at medium flame for 3 mins..Don't cook vegetable part at high flame, otherwise it will get burnt..
- Repeat the steps till the batter and vegetable is used up..
- Transfer it into plate and serve hot with any chutneys of your choice..
- Soak frozen paneer in a water for 10 mins..This is done in order to smoothen the paneer..Wash thoroughly and squeeze the water from it..You can crumble it with your hands or grind coarsely in a grinder... keep aside..
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add chopped onions and saute till light pink, no need to get transparent..
- Add chopped garlic and chopped green chillies and saute for few seconds..
- Add tomato paste and saute well.
- Add turmeric and chilli powder and saute for few minutes till raw smell goes away..
- Add vegetables and cook at high flame for 2 to 3 mins..Stir in between to avoid getting burnt..
- Add salt and crumbled paneer and mix well..
- Close the lid and cook at medium flame for 2 mins..
- Off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves and mix well..
- Leftover batter can be refrigerated and can make dosa or idli next day..
- While making Uttappam, make sure batter must be thick like idli batter...
- Uttappam should be thick like pancake..I prefer semi-thick batter, so I dilute it with very less water and smoothened lightly..
- You can add this vegetable topping in idli too, it gives different taste to idlis...