Earlier, I shared a recipe of the rice combined with prawns,chicken and vegetables in fried rice version here..Today, I am sharing a different biryani with the combination of non veg and veg,i.e Mixed Biryani....Have you heard about it?..Sounds incredible right?...Its biryani masala is made with prawns,chicken and vegetables...I got the recipe from 'Asianet Cookery Show'..Its name amazed me..I never heard about it before... Its easy to make and tastes delicious...I add my own vegetables which is available in my pantry..I shallow fried both prawns and chicken,then combined with vegetable masala..Original recipe didn't mention to shallow fry ...I did it as I want prawns and chicken to get flavour ...Do try this biryani,as a change from normal ones...Let us go straight to the recipe :)
Recipe Source: Asianet Cookery Show
- Chicken Breast,cubed - 200 gm
- Prawns,cleaned and de-veined - 150 gm
- Pepper pdr - 1 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Salt - adjust accordingly
- Any vegetables of your choice,diced - 1 cup
- Large Onion,thinly sliced - 3 no.s
- Tomatoes,sliced - 2 no.s
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Crushed green chillies - 6 no.s ( according to your spice level)
- Chopped mint leaves - 1/4 cup ( reserve half for decorating)
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1/2 cup ( reserve half for decorating)
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Pepper pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
For Ghee rice:
- Basmathi rice / Jeerakashala rice - 3 cups
- Water - 4 3/4 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Cardamom - 3 no.s
- Cloves - 4 no.s
- Cinnamon stick - a small pc
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Ghee + Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
For decorating: ( optional)
- Fried sliced onion - 1 no.
- Fried Cashew,raisins - few( I didn't use)
- Rose water - for sprinkling
For Shallow frying:
- Marinate the chicken and prawns mentioned in 'To marinate' and set aside for 10 minutes..
- Heat little oil in a fry pan,shallow fry prawns 2 to 3 minutes till both sides are slightly brown in colour..(Don't overcook the prawns,else it will turn rubbery)..Transfer these to a plate..
- Then shallow fry chicken for 5 to 6 minutes till both sides are brown in colour..
- Transfer these to a plate and keep aside..
Shallow fried prawns and chicken
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add sliced onion sprinkled with salt and saute till transparent..
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Add chopped herbs and saute well..
- Add tomatoes and saute till mushy..
- Add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Add little water and close the lid..Pressure cook for 3 whistles..This is done to make the masala into paste consistency...
- When pressure subsides, add diced vegetables and mix well...
- Pressure cook again for 2 whistles...Vegetables are added last after pressure cooking onion masala to avoid it from getting mashed...
- When pressure subsides,add shallow fried prawns and chicken and mix well..
- Taste and add salt and spice..
- Add lemon juice,mix well and cook at low flame for 2 minutes..
- Close the flame and set aside...
For ghee rice
- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 mins. If using jeerakashala rice,ignore this step.Wash the rice thoroughly with 2 to 3 couplets of water,drain rice in the colander and keep aside.
- In a large wide non-stick casserole/biryani pot , heat ghee + oil for few seconds.
- In a same vessel,add all the whole spices mentioned and saute for few seconds.
- Add water and let it boil till the bubbles comes.
- Add salt and sprinkle few lime juice to prevent sticking of rice.
- Add drained basmati rice into it,mix gently and close the lid.
- Keep at high flame for few minutes till the water evaporates.( Be careful not to get burnt)
- Immediately reduce the flame to low and turn the rice from bottom to top on all sides and gently level the rice.
- Close the lid and cook for 2 to 3 mins..
- Rice should be 80 percent cooked, remaining it will cook on dum..Off the flame and keep aside with lid closed.
- Divide the chicken-prawn veg masala and rice into two equal parts..
- Transfer the rice into another big plate..In same biryani pot, spread one part of masala in circular motion.
- Take one part of rice and pour on top of masala,covering everywhere. Level it with a back of large spoon,sprinkle few garam masala powder and few chopped mint-coriander leaves on top of the rice...
- Then pour another part of masala and repeat the step.
- Top part should be covered with rice..Sprinkle remaining garam- masala pdr and herbs like how you layered on rice earlier..level it with large spoon
- Sprinkle caramalised onions, cashews and raisins sparingly on top of it.(optional)
- Sprinkle rose water sparingly on top of rice ( optional)..
- Cover it with aluminium foil on top of the vessel (optional)..Close it with lid on top of that..It is mainly done to tight the lid,so that steam will not escape while on dum..It will retain flavour and aroma of biryani..As a substitute, you can stick wheat dough on top sides of a vessel in circular motion and cover it with a lid on top of it..
- Place tawa or steel platter ( It is done to avoid burning at bottom during dum) and place biryani pot on top of it.
- Keep at very low flame and cook for 30 mins...
- At the time of serving,remove the foil and serve it on a large plate...
- Serve warm with the combination of your choice like pickles, raita etc.
“Sending this entry to Ahlan Ramadan –The Healthy Way”