Today, I am sharing a recipe of healthy samosa...Instead of all purpose flour (maida), Wholewheat flour is used to prepare dough..I used chicken fillings,which is of course prepared by own...Instead of deep frying, I shallow fried in little oil..You can bake too..Left over can be refrigerated..Do make this samosa and impress your family..You can make this for snack or Iftar too..Lets move to the recipe :)
- Wholewheat flour / All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Baking powder - 1/4 tsp ( optional)
- Salt - a pinch
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp ( optional)
- Water - required to make dough.
- Boneless chicken,shredded - 1 cup ( cooked with chilli pdr,turmeric pdr, garam masala pdr, salt and pepper pdr,with little water and shred into pieces ).
- Onion,chopped - 1 medium size
- Carrot,chopped finely - 3 to 4 tbsp ( optional )
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chilllies chopped - 1 to 2 no.s
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper pdr - a pinch
- Tandoori masala pdr - 1 tsp ( optional)
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Chopped curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Thick yogurt - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients mentioned 'For Dough'and make into smooth dough..Cover and keep aside for 1 hour..
- Meanwhile make filling for stuffing samosa..In a pan,heat 1 tbsp of oil and add onions, sprinkled with salt and saute till pink..
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Add chopped carrots (optional) and saute at high flame for 1 minutes..
- Then lower the flame and add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Add chopped coriander leaves and saute well..
- Add cooked shredded chicken and saute well..
- Finally add yogurt and chopped curry leaves and mix well..
- Taste and adjust salt and spices..
- Close the flame and cook at medium flame for 2 minutes...Off the flame and set aside.
- Knead the dough and divide it into small equal balls..
- Take one ball,dust the work surface or rolling board with flour and flatten the dough thinly with rolling pin..
- Cut the dough with four equal halves as shown in the picture..
- Take one half of dough, fold one part and press the tip and fold other part too and press where the tip is pressed previously,which is formed into cone shape as shown in the picture...Stick the edges of folded parts firmly.. You can make a thick paste of flour with little water and stick the edges ( I didn't use it)
- Place the fillings inside the cone and close the edges and stick the dough firmly...
- Make sure there should not be any gap in this dough, as it may absorb too much oil when deep frying it..
- Repeat the steps when all the dough and fillings are used up..
- You can deep fry or shallow fry it in little oil..You can bake the samosas too by greasing oil on all sides..
- You can keep left over samosas in a freezer and use it when desired..
- Serve warm with ketchup with a cup of tea or coffee..
For detailed folding of dough,pls refer here
“Sending this entry to Ahlan Ramadan –The Healthy Way” ,hosted by Rafeeda, Hasna and Humi"