Today, I am posting a recipe of Eggless Banana Dates Cake...As the name suggests, this cake does not contain eggs and its suitable for egg allergies and vegetarian..Instead of milk,yogurt is added for mixing cake batter..You might be thinking does yogurt make cake sour?..Never..It didn't affect the taste of cake..You can't feel the taste of it..That makes the cake moist..Adding banana and dates indeed makes cake very tasty...It tastes much better than cake with eggs..If you have bananas which is on the verge of over ripe,don't throw in the bin..Do add it in cake instead..I got the recipe from here , but I add extra ingredient in this cake i.e dates..Me and my son love this cake very much...Do make this cake and impress your family..Off to the recipe :)
Recipe adapted from here
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp ( optional )
- Vegetable / Light olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Thick yogurt - 1/4 cup ( room temperature)
- Brown sugar - 1/2 cup ( can add white sugar too,if you don't have brown sugar)
- White sugar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Mashed banana - 2 no.s
- Dates chopped - 1/2 cup
- Chopped walnuts/ or any nuts- 3 to 4 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius..Grease a cake tin sprinkled with little flour..Please make sure to tap the excess flour..You can line with butter paper too...
- In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients like all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt with a wire whisk or sieve all together...
- Add 1 tbsp flour into chopped dates and chopped walnuts and mix well..This is done to prevent sinking into bottom while baking..
- In a large bowl, add oil ,brown+white sugar and vanilla essence and mix well with a whisk..
- Then add yogurt and mix well till sugar dissolves...
- Add mashed bananas and whisk well..
- Then add all the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk well.
- Add flour mixed chopped dates and walnuts and mix well with a spatula slowly..
- Pour this batter into oil greased cake tin.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes..Do check the oven after 35 mins, as baking time varies in different oven..If the toothpick or fork insert in the center of the cake comes out clean,it indicates cake is baked..If not bake for 5 mins more...
- Take out from the oven and place on the wire rack along with cake tin for 5 mins..When it cools down, de mold the cake on rack..Cool the cake completely for about 15 to 20 minutes...
- Cut the cake into desired shapes and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee..
- In original recipe,dates are not mentioned..But I add dates into it..
- If you don't prefer nuts,omit adding it..
- While making cake, please note that all the ingredients mentioned should be kept at room temperature.
- Avoid opening the door of oven in middle of baking cake, as it may disturb the cake batter and it will not cook properly..