Today, I am sharing a recipe of a Indian deep fried yeast bread called Batoora...I know deep fried items are not good for health,but you can prepare for your loved ones rarely or if you have guests..There's nothing wrong in making this..So need to bother about health..Most of the people have their own method of preparing batooras..If you search google, there are many methods of preparing batoora..I got the recipe somewhere but couldn't remember the source..This recipe is hit among my family..It goes well with any non veg or veg curries of your choice..Do eat it when warm, it tastes much better..Off to the recipe
- All purpose flour ( Maida) - 1 cup
- Wheat flour - 1 cup **
- Active dry yeast ( yeast granules) - 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1/4 tsp**
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - according to your taste
- Egg - 1 no.
- Yogurt - 1 tbsp
- Lukewarm milk - 2 tbsp + more for kneading
- Oil - for deep frying
- In a small bowl,add 2 tbsp lukewarm milk,yeast and sugar..Set aside for 7 to 8 mins..When foam appears on top,it indicates yeast has proofed..Stir and set aside..
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, wheat flour,salt and yogurt..Mix well..
- Make well in the center and add lightly beatened egg and yeast mixture, knead well..
- Add some more warm milk and knead into smooth dough with oil greased hand..Can add extra 1 tbsp flour if the dough is too sticky...
- Close the bowl with a large bowl and set in a warm place somewhere for 45 mins to 1 hr...
- After 45 mins,dough must increase double in size..punch the dough and knead again for 1 min..
- Divide the dough into small equal size balls and roll into round,oblong or any shape of your choice...The rolled dough should be thicker than poori...
- Or To roll the dough fast: Divide the dough into three large balls..Take one dough and roll into think large round..Draw a large cross line on a rolled dough with a knife.. You will get four triangles ( as shown in the pic above)..Repeat with other dough..This is the fastest way to roll dough..
- Heat oil in a kadai in medium heat. add one rolled batoora dough and press lightly with a slotted spoon on all sides..
- When it puff up, turn other side and cook till light brown on all sides..Drain and place it on kitchen paper towel..
- Continue this step till all the dough is fried..
- Serve with any veg or non-veg curries of your choice..
- Serve warm..
- You can either use 2 cups of all purpose flour or wheat flour...I used both flours one cups each.
- If you are not using baking powder, increase the yeast upto 3/4 tsp or 1 tsp.
- If you are using Instant yeast ( powdered yeast), no need to proof again,since it is already proofed, just add directly into the dough and knead..
- Always proof yeast in a lukewarm milk or water..Never soak yeast in boiling water or milk as yeast will never proof...