As my post has a very rare dessert, So I would like to share some thing sweet..I am sharing a easy and delicious Indian dessert...I think most of you heard of Gajar or Carrot Halwa, a common Indian dessert..There is halwa made from different vegetable too like beetroot,bottle guard, pumpkin and sometimes combination of 2 to 3 vegetables too..I am sharing a halwa recipe of two vegetables i.e pumpkin and carrot..Most of them have their own method of preparing method..This recipe contains condensed milk,which can be prepared fast and tastes delicious too..I like to have this dessert cold..Whether hot or cold, this dessert tastes delicious..I got this recipe somewhere from google, but I altered this recipe slightly..A combination of 2 vegetables is definitely my idea..Do prepare this yummy dessert and impress your family..Lets go to the recipe :)
- Carrot,grated - 1 cups ( Can use 2 cups grated carrot too )
- Pumpkin,grated - 3 cups ( Can use 2 cups grated pumpkin too)
- Ghee or Butter - 3 tbsp
- Condensed milk - 200 gm ( half cup)
- Milk - 1 cup
- Salt - a generous pinch ( to adjust the sweetness)
- Cardamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Almond powder - 1 tbsp ( optional)
- Raisins - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Chopped cashews/almonds - 1 to 2 tbsp and reserve few for garnishing
- Saffron threads - few pinch for garnishing
- In a large non-stick pan, heat ghee or butter in a medium-low heat..
- Add raisins and chopped nuts and saute well..
- When the nuts turns light brown, add grated vegetables and saute well in a ghee for 2 minutes in medium heat..
- Pour condensed milk and milk over the grated vegetables and stir well..
- Cook uncovered for about 15 minutes or till it changes light colour..Stir the halwa occasionally to avoid getting burnt at bottom..
- When the liquid reaches thick stage ( about to get dry), add almond powder ( optional) and cardamon powder...
- Stir well for 4 to 5 mins until liquid dries completely or when it leaves sides of the pan..
- Add salt and saffron at the end of it..
- Off the flame and transfer these into ghee greased bowl..Level it with a back of a spoon..
- Decorate it remaining chopped nuts and a pinch of saffron..
- Serve hot or cold as per your choice..
- Can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of halwa...But make sure halwa cools completely and can reduce the level of sugar or condensed milk...
- You can use any desired vegetables of your choice..But make sure to grate it..
- You can use sugar instead of condensed milk..As condensed milk contains sugar so need to add extra sugar..If you think sugar is not up to your level, can add extra sugar if needed..
- It is better to use non-stick pan for making halwa as it will prevent getting burnt at bottom..