I am sharing a recipe of perfectly baked,soft and tastiest home made bun which has a stuffing of beef masala..My first attempt of baking bun is a flop..But when I tried second time, bun is perfectly baked and I am proud of it..I got the recipe from here and followed a basic of making bun,it turned successful,but I make my own filling..Making of bun is not very difficult,but you have to follow each method carefully..
Its much better than bakery bun..This is one of the tastiest and soft bun I ever tasted..I made these for dinner..My hubby and bro in law loves my bun very much..Next day, we had remaining for breakfast.
Lets move to the recipe..
Recipe Courtesy: Adapted from here ( bun dough)
For Bun Dough
- All Purpose Flour - 2 1/2 Cups
- Active Dry Yeast - 1 1/2 tsp
- Lukewarm water - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Lukewarm Milk - 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup ( required for kneading)
- Veg Oil - 3 tbsp
- Egg - 1 beaten
- Egg White - from 1 egg, for egg wash
- Sesame seeds - required for sprinkling
For Beef Masala
- Chicken/Mutton/Beef - 200 gm shredded ( cooked with pepper,chilli,coriander,turmeric pdrs and salt)
- Onion,chopped - 2 medium size
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Chopped green chilly - l large
- Tomato sauce - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli pdr - 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Chopped curry leaves - 1 tbsp
Lets start the bun dough first:
- Add yeast and sugar in a luke warm water ( not boiling hot water,otherwise yeast will be killed) and set aside for 10 mins and cover..After 10 mins yeast will ferment and mix well..Keep aside..
- In a large bowl, add 1 cup flour ( do not add entire flour in one go),salt,veg oil and make it into a smooth paste...
- Add beaten egg,yeast mixture and another 1 cup of flour and knead by adding little lukewarm milk...Add remaining flour and lukewarm milk little by little and knead well for few minutes till you get a smooth dough without any cracks.(.If your dough is too sticky, add very little flour and knead again..If your dough is too dry, add very little lukewarm milk and knead again)..
- Cover the dough with a large plate or plastic wrap and keep it in a warm place for 2 to 3 hrs till the dough double in volume..
- In a fry pan, heat oil and add 'chopped Onion' till 'tomato paste' and saute one by one..
- Add all the spice powders and chopped coriander leaves and saute well till raw smell goes away..
- Add cooked meat and saute well.
- Finally add chopped curry leaves and sprinkle little garam masala powder and switch off the flame and set aside to cool..
- Punch the double volume dough and knead again for few sec..
- Divide the dough into medium sized balls...I got about 9 buns..
- Flatten each balls into circles with your palm and add 1 1/2 tbsp beef filling each,,..Pinch the dough from all sides and re-shape into balls..
- Place the buns in a oil greased baking dish .. place pinch part of bun at bottom of baking dish..
- Brush all the buns with egg-white and sprinkle sesame seeds on top of it..
- Keep the buns aside for 15 to 20 mins to rise ..
- At that time, Pre heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius for 15 mins...
- Place the baking tray with buns in a oven and bake for about 15 to 20 mins till top of the bun turns brown in colour or click 'bread' button if you are using convection oven and adjust weight accordingly
- Immediately brush oil on top of all the baked buns to prevent drying..
- Serve warm with salads of your choice...
- While kneading the dough for any bread, please note that do not add all the flour in one ago and add flour little by little and knead till the dough is soft..
- Please make sure that if you are using active dry yeast ( yeast granules) it should be proofed in lukewarm water not boiling hot,otherwise yeast will get killed..Make sure that yeast should be brand new and do not use yeast which is near to expiry date,it will not proof..If using Instant yeast (powdered proofed yeast), no need to soak in water as it is already proofed,add it directly to the dough and knead ..
- Instead of All purpose flour you can add mixture of Whole wheat flour and All purpose flour...You can make with whole wheat flour too,without adding all purpose flour..Texture of whole wheat bun is dense in texture and it might not be too soft in the case of APF..
- Always add lukewarm milk/water to knead the dough of bread..
- You can make any filling for bun according to your spice level and taste,,You can also make plain buns without any filling..