Recipe adapted from here
- Condensed milk - 1 tin ( 395 gm)
- Water - required for pouring.
- Pressure Cooker
- Remove the label of condensed milk tin and keep aside.. If you are using printed tin, ignore it..
- Pour the water half way through and immerse the condensed milk can as shown in pic .Please note that water level should be just above the condensed milk tin..
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook in a high flame when you hear 1 whistle...Reduce the flame to low and cook for 30 to 40 mins depending how thick and texture of the colour you want.I cooked for about 40 mins to get dark brown colour ...
- Off the flame and wait for the pressure to release completely..When pressure subsides and cools down, take out the tin by using tongs or two large spoon ..Never use hand to take out as tin is very hot to handle it..
- Do not open the lid of condensed milk can immediately while taking out from the cooker, as it is hot inside and it will splash on your face..wait for the tin to cool completely at room temperature for about 1 hour, then open the lid..
- This can be used for making pudding, ice cream and cake ...You can eat it directly too..If not using immediately, do refrigerate it...
- You can make DDL in a large pot too... Pour lots of water in a pot ,place condensed milk can and boil for 3 hours...Make sure to add boiling water if water is about to evaporate..This method is time consuming...Making DDL in a pressure cooker is a easiest method as it saves time.